Science and Technology
Like any good engineer, I am also an unrepentant geek. While this doesn't mean that I am infatuated with Star Trek (though Deep Space 9 rocks!), it does mean I have a very healthy interest in science and technology, particularly how science and technology influence medicine. One of my ideas of how to spend a perfect afternoon include a healthy deal of reverse engineering, and hey, compiler errors are just part of the fun!
I have had the luck of being able to punish some of my work and I would like to think that I have had some impact on how medicine is practiced. Below you can find the full text of my most recent papers. Enjoy!
Academic Review Articles
- Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome: Pathogenesis, Treatment and Outcome. Current Opinion in Pediatrics. 2005 April; 17(2) 200-204. PMID: 16651320.
- Real-time imaging in left atrial mapping and ablation. Published in Siemens Magnatome-Flash - Trade Magazine. February, 2007.
- MRI in the EP Lab: A New Method to Facilitate treatment of Atrial Fibrillation. Published in Future Cardiology.
Original Research Contributions
- Oakes RS, Badger TJ, Kholmovski, Segerson NM, DiBella EVR, Fish E, Blauer JJE, Akoum N, Daccarett M, Windfelder J, McGann CJ, Parker D, MacLeod RS and Marrouche NF. Detection and Quantification of Low Voltage Left Atrial Tissue Using Delayed Enhancement MRI in Patients with Atrial Fibrillation. Circulation. March 23, 2009.
- Badger TJ, Oakes RS, Daccarett M, Burgon NS, Segerson NM, Akoum N, Fish EN, Rao SN, Blauer JJE, Kholmovski EG, Vijayakumar S, DiBella EVR, MacLeod RS, Marrouche NF. Temporal left atrial lesion formaiton following ablation of atrial fibrillation: Lessons learned from delayed enhancement MRI. Heart Rhythm. February 2009. 6(2):161-8. PMID: 19187904
- MacLeod RS, Kholmovski EK, DiBella EVR, Oakes RS, Blauer JE, Fish EN, Vijaykumar S, Daccarett M, Segerson NM, Marrouche NF. Integration of MRI in Evaluation and Ablation of Atrial Fibrillation. Computers in Cardiology. 2008.
- McGann CJ, Kholmovski EG, Oakes RS, Blauer JJE, Daccarett M, Segerson N, Airey KJ, Akoum N, Fish E, Badger TJ, DiBella EVR, Parker D, MacLeod RM, and Marrouche NF. Extent of left atrial wall injury evaluated by magnetic resonance imaging after pulmonary vein antrum isolation predicts procedural response. Journal of the American College of Cardiology. October 2008.
- Oakes RS, Kirkham JK, Nelson RD, Siegler RL. Duration of Oliguria and Anuria as Predictors of Chronic Renal Related Sequelae in Post-Diarrheal Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Pediatric Nephrology. 2008 Aug; 23(8):1303-8. Epub 2008 May 9. PMID 18465151.
- Lou-Meda RM, Williams CG, Gilstrap JN, Oakes RS, Pavia AT, Siegler RL. Prognostic Significance of Microalbuminuria in Post-Diarrheal Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome. Pediatric Nephrology. 2006 Sep 12; PMID: 16967283.
- Oakes RS, Siegler, RL, McReynolds MA, Pysher T, Pavia AT. Predictors of Fatality in Post-Diarrheal (D+) Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome (HUS). Pediatrics. 2006 May; 117(5):1656-1662. PMID: 16651320.
- Davis S, Oakes RS, Weeks C, Anderson L, Jones A. Issues in the Creation of Specialized Medical and Surgical Units. Utah’s Health: An Annual Review. Volume 10(1), 2005 Edition.
If interested, you can find a copy of my complete Curriculum Vitae by clicking here.
Note: The copies of the articles posted here are in their accepted forms. The individual journals in which these articles were published hold the copyright for the final text (with layout). To my knowledge, there are no differences in the text between those final versions and the copies here. Should you find any, please contact me at RobertSOakes@msn.com so that I can make any necessary corrections.